[CentOS-virt] KVM, virtualized interface, dropped packets.

Rafał Radecki radecki.rafal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 08:48:57 UTC 2013

Hi All.

I have currently a small problem to solve. I have a kvm virtual machine
which in output of
ifconfig eth0 | egrep 'RX packets|TX packets'
          RX packets:792681304 errors:0 dropped:560728 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:716661674 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
show dropped packets. I think that rx buffer is to small (no strange
messagess in dmesg) and would like to make it larger. But when I try a
solution from
http://www.scottalanmiller.com/linux/2011/06/20/working-with-nic-ring-buffers/
I get:
ethtool -g eth0
Ring parameters for eth0:
Cannot get device ring settings: Operation not supported

So what is the proper way to make rx buffers larger in this situation?

Best regards,
Rafal Radecki.