[CentOS-virt] Would a hardware TRNG benefit VMs?

Tue Jul 16 16:20:17 UTC 2013
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 16/07/13 06:30, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, Digimer wrote:

>>> Xen VMs would not be able to benefit from it. I don't know about KVM.
>>
>> Would you be able to elaborate on why not? I know Xen and KVM differ, but this
>> is not a topic I have seen discussed at all before, so any insight would be
>> helpful and appreciated! :)
>
> Because we don't have a paravirtualized interface to export the
> randomness to the guest.
> It would be a nice small little project to do that though.

Ah, ok. I'm an admin, not a programmer, so I am not sure what would be
needed. Given how popular VMs are now, I can imagine it would be a nice
feature to have. If it's a "small" project, then all the better! :)

Thanks!

--
Digimer
access to education?