[CentOS-virt] GFS2 hangs after one node going down

Fri Mar 22 15:27:53 UTC 2013
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 03/22/2013 11:21 AM, Maurizio Giungato wrote:
> Il 22/03/2013 00:34, Digimer ha scritto:

>>> I attached my logs from /var/log/cluster/*
>>
>> The configuration itself seems ok, though I think you can safely take
>> qdisk out to simplify things. That's neither here nor there though.
>>
>> This concerns me:
>>
>> Mar 21 19:00:14 fenced fence lama6.blade dev 0.0 agent
>> fence_bladecenter result: error from agent
>> Mar 21 19:00:14 fenced fence lama6.blade failed
>>
>> How are you triggering the failure(s)? The failed fence would
>> certainly help explain the delays. As I mentioned earlier, DLM is
>> designed to block when a node is in an unknowned state (failed but not
>> yet successfully fenced).
>>
>> As an aside; I do my HA VMs using clustered LVM LVs as the backing
>> storage behind the VMs. GFS2 is an excellent file system, but it is
>> expensive. Putting your VMs directly on the LV takes them out of the
>> equation
>
> I used 'service network stop' to simulate the failure, the node get
> fenced through fence_bladecenter (BladeCenter HW)
>
> Anyway, I took qdisk out and put GFS2 aside and now I've my VM on LVM
> LVs, I'm trying for many hours to reproduce the issue
>
> - only the node where I execute 'service network stop' get fenced
> - using fallback_to_local_locking = 0 in lvm.conf LVM LVs  remain
> writable also while fencing take place
>
> All seems to work like a charm now.
>
> I'd like to understand what was happening. I'll try for same day before
> trusting it.
>
> Thank you so much.
> Maurizio

Testing testing testing. It's good that you plan to test before
trusting. I wish everyone had that philosophy!

The clustered locking for LVM comes into play for
activating/inactivating, creating, deleting, resizing and so on. It does
not affect what happens in an LV. That's why an LV remains writeable
when a fence is pending. However, I feel this is safe because rgmanager
won't recover a VM on another node until the lost node is fenced.

Cheers

--
Digimer
access to education?