[CentOS-virt] moving the Xen4CentOS repo Kernel to 3.10.x

Wed Sep 25 10:28:56 UTC 2013
David Vrabel <david.vrabel at citrix.com>

On 23/09/13 21:13, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Do we want to move the Xen4CentOS kernel to new LTS 3.10.x from the
> current 3.4.x Kernel?

Eventually but I don't see particular need to do this soon.

> If so, can we start testing the that kernel build?
>
> Is someone from Xen.org working on porting the xen specific patches that
> are required in the 3.10.x kernel from the ones we have in the 3.4.x
> tree in Xen4CentOS?
>
> The only one I know we need is the blktap module.
>
> I have created a new spec that builds a kernel with all the Xen
> configuration settings (except CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP=m)

Having I think the blktap patch should just apply with some minor tweaks.

We will want to take a hack limiting the maximum order for compound page
allocated to 0 to avoid large multi-page skb allocations consuming too
much swiotlb resource (and making performance worse).

We have just switched XenServer to 3.10 and we are seeing odd user space
crashes in a CentOS 6.4 constructed initrd so I would recommend not
switching to 3.10 until we understand what is going on here.

David