[CentOS-virt] Xen4CentOS: Unnecessary gpxe / ipxe obsoletes

Wed Apr 2 15:42:22 UTC 2014
George Dunlap <dunlapg at umich.edu>

I installed CentOS6 with the xen4centos set of packages; then I tried
to install KVM (for performance comparison), I got the following error
in YUM:

--> Processing Dependency: /usr/share/gpxe/e1000-0x100e.rom for
package: 2:qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.415.el6_5.4.x86_64
Package gpxe-roms-qemu is obsoleted by ipxe-roms-qemu, but obsoleting
package does not provide for requirements

I manually downloaded the gpxe package and installed it with no
problems, so there are no actual conflicts in the files.  Thus, ipxe
probably *shouldn't* obsolete gpxe -- there are no conflicts between
the two, and ipxe doesn't provide what gpxe does.

If I had already installed KVM, and was toying with the idea of giving
Xen a spin, this may have been enough to deter me.

I checked with the XenServer guys, and their version of ipxe doesn't
obsolete gpxe; so that must have been something that was introduced in
CentOS.

 -George