[CentOS-virt] Xen4CentOS: Unnecessary gpxe / ipxe obsoletes

Thu Apr 3 15:14:09 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 04/02/2014 10:42 AM, George Dunlap wrote:
> I installed CentOS6 with the xen4centos set of packages; then I tried
> to install KVM (for performance comparison), I got the following error
> in YUM:
>
> --> Processing Dependency: /usr/share/gpxe/e1000-0x100e.rom for
> package: 2:qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.415.el6_5.4.x86_64
> Package gpxe-roms-qemu is obsoleted by ipxe-roms-qemu, but obsoleting
> package does not provide for requirements
>
> I manually downloaded the gpxe package and installed it with no
> problems, so there are no actual conflicts in the files.  Thus, ipxe
> probably *shouldn't* obsolete gpxe -- there are no conflicts between
> the two, and ipxe doesn't provide what gpxe does.
>
> If I had already installed KVM, and was toying with the idea of giving
> Xen a spin, this may have been enough to deter me.
>
> I checked with the XenServer guys, and their version of ipxe doesn't
> obsolete gpxe; so that must have been something that was introduced in
> CentOS.
>
>  -George

OK, the repo here has ipxe that will install with qemu-kvm.

NOTE:  The seabios in the xen repo is much newer than the one in
CentOS-6 .. so we need to test this and make sure xen and kvm still work
before rolling into production repo .. here is the testing repo:

http://dev.centos.org/centos/6/xen-c6-RC1/

Lets get this tested and results posted on this list.