[CentOS-virt] OpenVZ variant

Thu Apr 3 17:38:02 UTC 2014
Lars Kurth <lars.kurth at xen.org>

Hi Scott,

we are in the process of bootstrapping the Virtualization SIG and are
working with the CentOS community to set it up. The intention is to work
with anyone who has an interest to bring a specific virtualization
technology to CentOS and who is willing to put enough time in to make
their bit work. A lot of details are still open, such as whether there
would be one CentOS virt variant covering all virt technologies (which
is preferable to having several for a number of reasons), infrastructure
questions, versions of packages for qemu, libvirt, ... interfaces to
other SIGs and many more.

The next step is to set up the first meeting. We will make a proposal
for dates and format shortly. I was out of the office for a while and am
only just catching up with things that happened in the last month (such
as the approval of the virt SIG).

 > This morning I sent out some feelers to the OpenVZ community (via the
OpenVZ Users mailing list,
 > blog.openvz.org, and the #openvz IRC channel) to see if any OpenVZ
users were already working with the CentOS project (I'm not).
I am not aware of anyone from the OpenVZ community at this stage.

 > So does anyone that is part of this SIG care to tell me how much
OpenVZ interest there currently is
To be honest, I don't have a clue. The steps you have already taken
should certainly give you an indication on how much interest there may
be from the OpenVZ community. And possibly someone on this list may
respond.

 > and how I might become a part of the effort? I know the virt-sig is
probably quite broad beyond OpenVZ.
A good place to start would be to participate in our first meeting and
on the list and take things from there. As an aside, I only just got
write access to the wiki and we will be updating some of the information
related the SIG (which is currently out-of-date).

Best Regards
Lars