[CentOS-virt] virt-preview repo for CentOS?

Dario Faggioli dario.faggioli at citrix.com
Wed Aug 20 13:42:07 UTC 2014

On mer, 2014-08-20 at 12:07 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/11/2014 06:58 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> That's right.  We want to test OpenStack with bleeding edge versions of
> >> libvirt and qemu, but want the underlying OS to be something supported
> >> for a longer period of time than a given Fedora release.  CentOS + a
> >> testing repo with that software included would be perfect.
> >
> > But on the whole, it sounds like your goals and the goals of the Virt
> > SIG are at odds.  The Virt SIG wants to provide a stable base; the
> > "(1)" group of people mentioned in the Fedora virt-preview wiki page.
> > As it happens, we plan on updating our libvirt package fairly
> > frequently at first; but that's just to get some important Xen
> > functionality in as soon as possible.  Once the Xen functionality for
> > libvirt has stabilized, we'll probably stop.  Our plan for qemu was to
> > re-build the exact RHEL package, but with snapshotting enabled.
> >
> > What you're describing would essentially be a completely separate
> > project: designed for people (like yourselves) who want bleeding-edge
> > versions.
>
> could we do this as a part of a -testing or -next repo, but still be a
> part of the VirtSIG ? I think it would be great to see some of the
> upstream devel stuff being built and tested, specially if it can be
> automated. Needing to do this manually, and curate it locally would be
> quite hard.

FWIW, and AFAIUI, in Fedora, the vit-preview repository contains the
packages that will be part of the next to be released Fedora version
(codename 'rawhide'), built for the latest released Fedora version.

This means, right now, it contains the versions of the virt software
that will go in Fedora 21, build on and for Fedora 20. This is
particularly useful, for example, to catch possible regressions, as the
repo docs say themselves:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository

"Who might be interested in virt preview? It turns out there are four kinds of people in the world.

    1) Users who want things to stay stable and who aren't necessarily expecting new features until they update to the next release of Fedora - these are people with just the updates repo enabled

    2) Same as (1) but who are willing to help out testing updates for the whole distro in order to catch things before they hit the people in category (1) - these people have the updates and updates-testing repos enabled

    3) Mostly the same as (1) or (2), but have a specific interest in testing new virt features and are willing to deal with virt regressions - these people enable the updates, updates-testing and preview repos

    4) People who are interested in helping with Fedora <next> development in general, not just virt - these people run rawhide "

Regards,
Dario