[CentOS-virt] How do I do Centos 7 p2v migration?

SilverTip257

silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 23:25:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM, <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to do p2v and v2v migrations on a Centos 7
> kvm
> host. With previous versions there was virt-p2v but that does not seem to
> exist
> with Centos-7.
>
> I realize that if I am using shared storage, I can do live migrations but
> that does not help with p2v migrations.
>
> Does anyone know what the recommended procedure is for migrating either
> physical or virtual machines to Centos-7 is?

While maybe not officially recommended, you could rsync [0] the OS over.

You have a couple of options if you choose to rsync:
1) set up partitions, mount them in a rescue environment, and rsync most
everything (certain items from /dev/ can be excluded and everything from
/sys/ and /proc/, not to mention NFS mount points, etc).  Then tweak fstab,
chroot to install grub, and possibly rebuild the initrd/initramfs with
proper modules (might need virtio, etc).  There are other nuances like MAC
addresses on interfaces (if HWADDR is defined in your network-scripts
files), but those would be a possible gotcha even if you used Clonezilla.
2) set up partitions, install a fresh copy of CentOS7, then rsync
everything over top (means you don't have to sync identical files).

You'll need knowledge of a bunch to do the manual operations (that
otherwise would be automated by anaconda) for the rsync method.  But the
upside is I've managed to keep production boxes up and minimized downtime
(maybe slightly more latency/delay on the production host, but it wasn't
noticeable).

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Full_system_backup_with_rsync

--
Mike