[CentOS-virt] virt-preview repo for CentOS?

Wed Aug 20 11:07:02 UTC 2014

On 08/11/2014 06:58 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>> That's right.  We want to test OpenStack with bleeding edge versions of
>> libvirt and qemu, but want the underlying OS to be something supported
>> for a longer period of time than a given Fedora release.  CentOS + a
>> testing repo with that software included would be perfect.
>
> But on the whole, it sounds like your goals and the goals of the Virt
> SIG are at odds.  The Virt SIG wants to provide a stable base; the
> "(1)" group of people mentioned in the Fedora virt-preview wiki page.
> As it happens, we plan on updating our libvirt package fairly
> frequently at first; but that's just to get some important Xen
> functionality in as soon as possible.  Once the Xen functionality for
> libvirt has stabilized, we'll probably stop.  Our plan for qemu was to
> re-build the exact RHEL package, but with snapshotting enabled.
>
> What you're describing would essentially be a completely separate
> project: designed for people (like yourselves) who want bleeding-edge
> versions.

could we do this as a part of a -testing or -next repo, but still be a
part of the VirtSIG ? I think it would be great to see some of the
upstream devel stuff being built and tested, specially if it can be
automated. Needing to do this manually, and curate it locally would be
quite hard.

We would also need to make sure that stuff from that repo never hits a
release repo on centos.org, but we can likely enforce that.

--
Karanbir Singh