[CentOS-virt] How do I do Centos 7 p2v migration?

Fri Aug 22 02:16:55 UTC 2014
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 7:25 PM, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM, <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to figure out how to do p2v and v2v migrations on a Centos 7
>> kvm
>> host. With previous versions there was virt-p2v but that does not seem to
>> exist
>> with Centos-7.
>>
>> I realize that if I am using shared storage, I can do live migrations but
>> that does not help with p2v migrations.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the recommended procedure is for migrating either
>> physical or virtual machines to Centos-7 is?
>

> While maybe not officially recommended, you could rsync [0] the OS over.

If you go this route, boot with a Live DVD and make a tarball, or use
"star" to make an SELinux aware tarball. That way, you have a copy to
store, label, and unpack into a chroot cage and edit and propagate
elsewhere, as needed.

Rsync can be efficient, but transmitting and uncompressing a tarball
is *much faster*. Put it in the swap partition temporarily, if you
need to.