[CentOS-virt] virt-preview repo for CentOS?

Mon Aug 11 18:20:29 UTC 2014
Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>

On 08/11/2014 01:58 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>> That's right.  We want to test OpenStack with bleeding edge versions of
>> libvirt and qemu, but want the underlying OS to be something supported
>> for a longer period of time than a given Fedora release.  CentOS + a
>> testing repo with that software included would be perfect.
>
> But on the whole, it sounds like your goals and the goals of the Virt
> SIG are at odds.  The Virt SIG wants to provide a stable base; the
> "(1)" group of people mentioned in the Fedora virt-preview wiki page.
> As it happens, we plan on updating our libvirt package fairly
> frequently at first; but that's just to get some important Xen
> functionality in as soon as possible.  Once the Xen functionality for
> libvirt has stabilized, we'll probably stop.  Our plan for qemu was to
> re-build the exact RHEL package, but with snapshotting enabled.
>
> What you're describing would essentially be a completely separate
> project: designed for people (like yourselves) who want bleeding-edge
> versions.
>
> Is there a reason you can't just download and build upstream qemu and
> libvirt yourselves, and build them on top of CentOS?  That's more or
> less what the Xen Project automated testing infrastructure does for
> testing (although it uses Debian as a base rather than CentOS).

We could.  Using existing packages would just be a bit easier.  I was
mainly interested if such a repo existed.  I got the answer I was
looking for, so thanks!

> Or, if you were willing to do the maintenance on such a repo, we might
> consider adding such a thing into the Virt SIG.  But it would be you
> (or other like-minded people) doing the builds either way.

OK, understood.  Like you said, for my particular case, I can just build
from source.  I just wanted to see if what I was looking for happened to
already exist.

Thanks,

--
Russell Bryant