[CentOS-virt] disk io in guests causes soft lockups in guests and host processes

Robert Dinse

nanook at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 20 19:49:10 UTC 2014

      What helped a lot for me is to increase the read ahead drastically on
guests:

# Set read-ahead for optimal disk I/O
blockdev --setra 16384 /dev/vda

      I optained this value by repeatedly timing copies and this was, for my
installation at least, optimal.

    Knowledgeable human assistance, not telephone trees or script readers.