[CentOS-virt] disk io in guests causes soft lockups in guests and host processes

Thu Feb 20 18:01:10 UTC 2014
Zoltan Frombach <zoltan at frombach.com>

I experienced similar issues when disk images of virtual machines were
stored in qcow/qcow2 files instead of logical volumes (LVM).
Using LVM gives you way better I/O performace than using qcow files.

Also very important: when you partition your disk drive(s) make sure
that partitions are properly aligned to the physical allocation block
size of the hard drive you use. Let's say your hard drive uses 4k
sectors then every partition you create must start at a 4k boundary. If
your partitions are mis-aligned then you'll get terrible disk I/O
performace, just like the one you have described.
For more info see, for example:
http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Partition_Alignment

You can also tweak Linux to get better KVM performance. For more info
you can check out these documents:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxinfo/v3r0m0/topic/liaat/liaatbestpractices_pdf.pdf
http://www.novell.com/docrep/2013/05/kvm_virtualized_io_performance.pdf

Zoltan