[CentOS-virt] MS-Win7 kvm guest gets dhcp from host bridge

Thu Feb 20 06:29:52 UTC 2014
Ashish Yadav <gwalashish at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:36 AM, Dusty Mabe <dustymabe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/19/2014 04:01 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> > CentOS-6.5
> > i86_64
> > qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.415.el6_5.4
> > MS-Windows v7proSP1
> >
> > We have installed a MicroSoft Win7 system as a guest and have joined it
> to our
> > MS AD domain. The system runs and has internet access.  However, the IPv4
> > address it obtains and the gateway it is assigned are both sourced from
> the
> > virtual machine host system and not from our AD DC DHCP server.
> >
> > To clarify, the virbr0 IP address is 192.168.122.1 and the Windows guest
> has
> > that address as its gateway and an IP address in the 192.168.122.0/24
> > netblock.  This is not as we desire as the internal addresses we
> regularly
> > assign to MS workstations via DHCP are supposed to belong to a different
> > netblock entirely.  This permit filtering on incoming and outgoing
> traffic at
> > the gateway.

1. If I understand you correctly then you want to assign MS-Windows a IP
which should not be from
192.168.122.0/24?

2. If that is yes then you have to configure your DHCP server so that
machine which
is a guest machine should get IP based on their MAC address. In VirtualBox
MAC address is in this range
08:00:27:XX:XX:XX:XX, first three value will be constant for all guests.