[CentOS-virt] xen_balloon: reserve_additional_memory: add_memory() Errors

Fri Jan 3 19:58:59 UTC 2014
Chris Elliott <chris at chriselliott.info>

Hi All

Back in August there was a report of these errors popping up in dmesg, and as far as I can tell it's still unresolved even in the latest kernel.

System RAM resource [mem 0xc8000000-0xcfffffff] cannot be added
xen_balloon: reserve_additional_memory: add_memory() failed: -17

On this example its running 3.10.20-11.el6.centos.alt.x86_64

To replicate this just disable Dom0 memory ballooning in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and these errors will over time completely fill up dmesg.

This is because the amount of memory within these two sys files is different:

/sys/devices/system/xen_memory/xen_memory0/info/current_kb

/sys/devices/system/xen_memory/xen_memory0/target_kb

We can manually edit to work around the problem and stop the error but its not ideal, I would help with making a patch but don't really know where to start!

Thanks
Chris