[CentOS-virt] Loading a FreeBSD 10 VM on QEMU-KVM..

Thu Jan 16 10:18:28 UTC 2014
Howard Leadmon <howard at leadmon.net>

  I will probably get it up to 6.5 over the weekend, it’s pretty much because the host has established production VM’s running on the server, and I have to take a bunch of stuff offline to update.   Yes, I know that needs to get done during some weekend maintenance time..

---

Howard Leadmon

From: centos-virt-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-virt-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Dima (Dan) Yasny
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:56 PM
To: Discussion about the virtualization on CentOS
Subject: Re: [CentOS-virt] Loading a FreeBSD 10 VM on QEMU-KVM..

Why 6.4 when 6.5 is out?

Also, you haven't mentioned what type of storage you are using, have you tried both IDE and virtio?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Howard Leadmon <howard at leadmon.net> wrote:

 I was trying to load a FreeBSD 10 VM on my CentOS 6.4 machine, and it keeps
hanging and not completing the boot.   I have FBSD 9.x VM's running just
fine, but if I try and load 10.x it's a no go.

Attaching to the console using VNC, I see:

gPXE (http://etherboot.org) - 00:04.0 C980 PCI2.10 PnP BBS PMM7FC0 at 20 C980

Booting from DVD/CD...
CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up the /BOOT/LOADER... Found
Relocating the loader and the BTX

That is it, at that point it just hangs.   I have tried from 2G RAM to 6G
RAM for the VM, and from 1 to 4 CPU's, but no effect.  The FreeBSD lists
said I should load a newer QEMU-KVM, that there are much newer releases but
everything I have seen claims that is not a good idea, that RH does version
numbering much differently.

Has anyone run into this, or have any ideas on how to get past it, as I
would love to load up the newest FBSD and give it a run as well..

---
Howard Leadmon