[CentOS-virt] xen_balloon: reserve_additional_memory: add_memory() Errors

Fri Jan 10 12:17:22 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/08/2014 08:05 AM, David Vrabel wrote:
> On 08/01/14 13:59, Chris Elliott wrote:
>> At the moment we are using dom0_mem=3G,max:3G for example (where
>> dom0 mem and max values are the same). So we just need to allow a slightly
>> higher max value to leave some ballooned pages?
> Yes.
>
>> The Xen4centos documentation also says to use the same value for
>> dom0_mem and max.
> That should be updated with the workaround.
>
> David

For completeness on this issue, here are the current kernel settings for
all XEN kernel variables:

CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_DOM0=y
CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM=y
CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY=500
CONFIG_XEN_SAVE_RESTORE=y
CONFIG_XEN_DEBUG_FS=y
CONFIG_PCI_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=m
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=m
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP=m
CONFIG_NETXEN_NIC=m
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=m
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=m
CONFIG_INPUT_XEN_KBDDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_HVC_XEN=y
CONFIG_HVC_XEN_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_WDT=m
CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON=y
# CONFIG_XEN_SELFBALLOONING is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=m
CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XENFS=m
CONFIG_XEN_COMPAT_XENFS=y
CONFIG_XEN_SYS_HYPERVISOR=y
CONFIG_XEN_XENBUS_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_GNTDEV=m
CONFIG_XEN_GRANT_DEV_ALLOC=m
CONFIG_SWIOTLB_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_TMEM=m
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=m
CONFIG_XEN_PRIVCMD=m
CONFIG_XEN_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_XEN_MCE_LOG=y
CONFIG_XEN_HAVE_PVMMU=y

As can be seen, CONFIG_XEN_SELFBALLOONING is not set  ... is this a
problem?  (That option was decided during the beginning of the
Xen4CentOS process and I'm not sure if it is still valid).

If the kernel config option is still correct and if the Xen4CentOS Docs
need changing then I will make that happen.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes