[CentOS-virt] Fwd: About Centos 7 + Virt-manager

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jul 16 01:56:21 UTC 2014

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Thanks Nux, but now I'm fighting with the network settings...
> There is some tutorial for this?,
> How do you create centos template, can you give me some steps for
> this...
> Thanks in Advance
> Pablo
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Nux! < nux at li.nux.ro > wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got an old image here: http://li.nux.ro/download/LXC/
> Use at your own risk etc :-)
> --

While virt-manager has had an lxc option for some time, and yes, I've actually seen a few tutorials by adventurous Fedorians on Fedora Planet over the last couple of years... to the best of my knowledge, almost no one is using virt-manager with containers.  Red Hat only sees containers for applications and they are favoring strongly Docker.

Among the many guides released with RHEL7 was one entitled, "Resource Management and Linux Containers" (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Resource_Management_and_Linux_Containers_Guide/index.html).  It does have a section on LXC containers but they really don't go into it too much.

Canonical is the main lead on LXC containers... so maybe they have some documentation?

If you want to containerize applications, then Docker might be the way to go.  If you want a full-blown container (complete distro with independent accounts, networking, services, etc) then OpenVZ is the way to go.  OpenVZ is a third-party patch to the kernel that will never get into the mainline kernel so you have to use an OpenVZ-provided kernel (their stable branches are based on RHEL-kernels) and utils.  They have EL5 and EL6-based kernels... and are working on an EL7-based one but no date on when that will be released.

I'm a big OpenVZ user (since 2005) so if you have questions, feel free to email me directly if desired... or find me in #openvz on freenode during MST business hours.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street