[CentOS-virt] xen setup documentation for centos?

George Dunlap dunlapg at umich.edu
Tue Jun 3 10:01:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 1:45 AM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the proposed way to create domU guests on centos 6.5?  At first
> I tried to follow the documentation on the xen project website which
> recommends using xl.  I created a config file and ended up with getting
> a message that the kernel is not bootable when trying to create a guest.
> I also had to stop some daemon (xend?) because it said that xl isn`t
> compatible with it and the daemon must be stopped first.

I understand how frustrating it can be to be dealing with old /
inaccurate documentation.  But I'm not sure how we're supposed to help
you if you don't give any details about what you did and exactly how
it failed.  If the instructions you followed don't work, then either:
* You misunderstood something / accidentally left out a step /
mistyped something from the documentation.
* There's a bug in the CentOS implementation of Xen that needs to be fixed
* There's a bug in the documentation that needs to be fixed

If you describe which bit of documentation on the Xen website you
tried to follow, what you were trying to do, and what happened, then
we can figure out which of those it is and address the issue.

The xend thing is an unfortunate -- as a project we're trying to move
away from it, but there are still a large number of CentOS users who
use it.  Trying to make both new users and old users happy is a bit of
a hard balancing act.

 -George