[CentOS-virt] Finally switching from Xen to KVM - question about networking

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Jun 10 14:46:42 UTC 2014

On 10/06/14 10:03 AM, Steve Campbell wrote:
> I had so much trouble putting Centos 6 guest VMs on a Centos 5 host that
> I finally switched to a Centos 6 host.
>
> I've not needed more that test VMs, so I've used Virtual Machine Manager
> on the old system, which worked pretty well, so I decided to create my
> first KVM guest machine. I noticed when I created it, I only had the
> options of NAT for my network interface, so I used that (obvious).
>
> Well, after starting the VM, I find I don't have connectivity with that
> interface. Reading, I find examples where I need to create bridges
> perhaps. Xen did most of this for me, so it's a little new to me.
>
> Can anyone throw me a clue, please?
>
> steve campbell

Setting up a bridge is not that hard, and it will give your VMs direct
access to the outside world, and host <-> VM access just fine as well.

Here is a link showing how to setup a bridge connected to a bond device.
Ignore the bond and pretend it is a straight ethX device:

https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2#Configuring_our_Bridge.2C_Bonds_and_Interfaces

--
Digimer
access to education?