[CentOS-virt] xen setup documentation for centos?

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Sat Jun 7 05:21:04 UTC 2014

On 06/07/2014 03:03 AM, lee wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> writes:
> [..]
> You're right, I overlooked the 'dev'.
>
> Why doesn't the error message simply say "syntax error" and perhaps even
> points out that "dev" might be missing?
Because the program "ip" is pretty cryptic, despite being way more
powerful than most people know

> There is no 'to' in the
> configuration file anywhere, and saying that "eth0" might be "a garbage"
> isn't helpful in any way.  This isn't any better than failing silently
> or just printing "error".
Each line of the route-eth* file(s) is passed ad-literam to ip route
commands so all error messages that you see come from ip. Examine
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes for details. In your case,
you should test the content of route-eth* by using:     ip route add
$EachLineOneByOne

> I would like to make a bug report about this so that the useless error
> message may be changed.  But what package should the report refer to?
You could file a RFE either against iproute which actually triggers the
messages you've seen or against initscripts (ifup-routes is provided by
it - you could ask for a better parser ).