[CentOS-virt] Why are bridges required?

Tue Jun 3 07:45:14 UTC 2014
krad <kraduk at gmail.com>

Hi Lee

If you are to virtualize the network stack properly you need to do it all
the way down to layer2. How do you connect multiple layer 2 devices
together? Well a bridge, a switch being many bridges all in the one box.
Hubs are not relevant here as there is no physical medium. As the llya said
it totally possible to have a 1:1 relationship between the vms and host, ie
a dedicated bridge per vm, with its own ip network on (/30 for ipv4, or /64
for ipv6). The host machine then does all the routing and/or natting for
the guests