[CentOS-virt] Preferred method of provisioning VM images

Tue Jun 17 17:31:38 UTC 2014
lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de>

SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:11 AM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
>> Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> writes:
>>
>> > Ofcourse, having these images pushed from here mean that clouds or
>> > virtualised environs that have metadata services are able to just-use
>> > the image as is, not needing any more tooling etc. And we can easily
>> > push monthly image updates and when things like heartbleed come around,
>> > there is a single place we need to update.
>>
>> Wouldn't you still need to configure the services running in each VM?
>>

> Yes.
>
> I believe the idea here is to pre-configure as much as possible and
> complete the remaining configuration via network connectivity (ie: SSH).

How about some sort of package management that lets you define and
configure the VM?

This is currently done from "the inside", i. e. when the VM is running,
with whatever installer and package manager a distribution comes
with.

Why not do it from "the outside", i. e. before the VM even exists,
creating it in the process?  Define some sort of API so that the same
"VM creator tool" could be used with different distributions.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.