[CentOS-virt] Preferred method of provisioning VM images

Wed Jun 18 21:33:24 UTC 2014
lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de>

Sven Kieske <S.Kieske at mittwald.de> writes:

> Am 17.06.2014 19:31, schrieb lee:
>> How about some sort of package management that lets you define and
>> configure the VM?
>>
>> This is currently done from "the inside", i. e. when the VM is running,
>> with whatever installer and package manager a distribution comes
>> with.
>>
>> Why not do it from "the outside", i. e. before the VM even exists,
>> creating it in the process?  Define some sort of API so that the same
>> "VM creator tool" could be used with different distributions.
>
> I believe you are talking about a bootstrapped minimal installation
> and than managing this via a config management tool like puppet, chef
> etc. ?

No, I'm talking about an "installer" which can be used to create and to
configure a VM image.  The resulting VM image would have all needed
packages installed and be fully configured.

> Nevertheless I think this gets really off topic and out of scope.

Does "provisioning VM images" not involve their creation?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.