[CentOS-virt] Are xen and centos incompatible?

Mon Jun 9 16:51:02 UTC 2014
Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk at oracle.com>

On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 02:44:54AM +0200, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to pass a physical network interface through to a domU.
>
> This seems to be impossible because the way xen wants to do it is
> incompatible with the way centos wants to do it.

Huh?

> I followed documentation on http://www.xen-support.com/?p=151 and tried
> booting with 'pciback.permissive pciback.hide=(06:00.0)'.  This gives a
> hint in dmesg "kernel: xen-pciback: backend is vpci", and the device is
> still visible in dom0.  So this obviously doesn't work.

The device should be visible in the dom0 - even when it is for passthrough.

But irrespective of that - the steps mentioned there are out of date.
The correct option should be 'xen-pciback.hide=(06:00.0) xen-pciback.permissive=1'

> Following http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough:

which is mentioned in that link.

> [root at heimdall ~]# xl pci-assignable-add 06:00.0
> xend is running, which may cause unpredictable results when using
> this xl command.  Please shut down xend before continuing.
>
> (This check can be overridden with the -f option.)
> [root at heimdall ~]#
>

> There doesn't seem to be any documentation about what xend does or is
> for and how to pass a physical network interface through with it.

Did you just try using the same parameter but replace 'xl' with 'xm'?