[CentOS-virt] Remove Centos from AWS marketplace

Sun Mar 9 16:29:10 UTC 2014
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 09/03/14 11:52 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>> Would you mind elaborating on this? If a snapshot is a point-in-time
>> image of a VM (or even normal FS), why would DB backups be at risk
>> (assuming things like fsync are used)?
>>
>> I'm asking in general terms... no idea if this is something AWS specific.
>>
>> digimer
>
> It's a general issue. If a system snapshot is used to correctly
> preserve both the disk image, and the "state" of the VM including
> memory, well and good. The state is recoverable. There's always a risk
> that interrupted network transactions left things in an unexpectedly
> inconsistent state that the VM is not equipped to handle: I'm thinking
> particularly of "wget" or other download transactions where the
> download software was not intelligent enough to verify the download
> before proceeding. I've been through this a lot lately with "chef"
> software. It's compounded by network based filesystem transactions,
> such as interactions with NFS or CIFS filesystems, which cannot be
> synchronized with the OS snapshot.
>
> But simply relying on the disk image from such an AWS snapshot,
> without recovering the full system state, is a potential adventure.
> I've not myself had opportunity to play with this kind of restoration,
> so I'm uncertain whether AWS allows access to the plain disk image, or
> automatically would bring the full VM state with it for re-activation
> of the snapshot.   If you're just getting at the disk images, using
> "fsync" before the snapshots is helpful, but any atomic transaction
> that is in progress at the time of the disk image snapshot is not
> verifiable in the atomicity of that transaction. This particularly
> includes  precisely the sort of "page mapped" data, sitting in RAM,
> that the "fsync" command helps write to disk.
>
> And snapshots cheduled from outside controllers, such as automatic
> snapshots, cannot be reliably synced with system specific "fsync"
> database suspension commands without a great deal of integration
> between the outside system, and the local host, that VM's are not
> supposed to normally need. I went through great deal of this some
> years back, shutting down databases, running "LVM" to get a disk
> snapshot, then running "rsnapshot" against the *snapshot* to avoid
> getting an inconsistent state of the database into the backup system.
>
> And there are some *funky* databases out there. Ask sometime about the
> "Use hardlinked RCS files for source control of multiple project
> branches" sometime, if you'd like to wince a lot.

This is very useful, thank you kindly for sharing. I suppose I always
considered the "it's like recovering for the server losing power" as
"usually works" and equating that to "good enough" backup.

So I suppose, at best, using snapshot images as a backup ... backup
method would be valid... I could see the benefit of recovering the VM,
and then if anything wasn't right, using it as the target for restoring
data from the proper backup.

Thanks again!

--
Digimer