[CentOS-virt] BAD disk I/O performance

Zoltan Frombach

zoltan at frombach.com
Sun May 4 12:38:01 UTC 2014

I also experienced really bad disk I/O performance with qcow2 images
(under CentOS 6.4 hosts.)
When I converted the disk image to a raw logical volume (created with
lvm2) I get almost bare-metal disk I/O performance.

Also note mentioning: check if your disk partitions are properly aligned
and begin at 4k block boundaries. I use parted for this. For more info
see
http://rainbow.chard.org/2013/01/30/how-to-align-partitions-for-best-performance-using-parted/
or google it.

There are more performance tuning options, e.g. you can set
vm.swappiness = 0 on the host's Linux kernel. You can also try different
kernel scheduling options, etc. These gave me only minor performace
gains. The most important part was getting away from qcow2 and using
properly aligned disk partitions.

Zoltan