[CentOS-virt] Xen DomU supoprt in RHEL 7 and the CentOS Plan

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sun May 25 13:58:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Major Hayden <major at mhtx.net> wrote:
> On May 23, 2014, at 9:13, Simon Rowe <simon.rowe at eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Why do you say that? My minimal testing of the rc doesn't show any
>> problems installing on Xen 4.4
>
> I had the same results as Simon.
>
> Running RHEL7rc as a domU on a machine running a Fedora-based Xen hypervisor works fine.
>
> However, there is no Xen *dom0* support in RHEL7rc.  There are no tools either.  Last time I checked, Xen support wasn't evenincluded with libvirt on RHEL7rc. :/

Given Red Hat's focus on and direct freeware support of KVM, why
should they burn cycles on open source integration of a product that
has a closed source upstream vendor at Citrix? They'd be much better
off spending the engineering time on libvirt and getting the
NetworkManager configuration tools to correctly support KVM compatible
bridging or ordinary network pair bonding, jumbo frames, and VLAN
tagging. None of that was working correctly on CentOS 6 or RHEL 6
without hand editing config files, which would be overwritten and
scrambled by using NetworkManager to configure anything. I've not
spent time with the latest NetworkManager on the RHEL 7 betas, and
would be very curious to see if they've gotten *that* straightened
out.

In Red Hat's position, I'd contact Citrix and get *them* to do the
testing and debugging, which they'll need to do for their commercial
products, anyway. That might get into interesting open source
licensing issues, but it's a lot cheaper than replicating testing labs
and doing Citrix's work for them.