[CentOS-virt] p2v conversion questions

Sat May 3 20:32:46 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 5:22 PM, <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of converting a w2k8 physical server to C6.5 kvm. In
> reading
>
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/V2V_Guide/sect-V2V_Guide-Configuration_Changes-Configuration_Changes_for_Windows_Virtual_Machines.html
> It says that virtio-win rpm is required. I know that the virtio-win rpms
> are
> not available for Centos 6.5 but the drivers are available for download at
> https://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/

Good question.

Per the RH docs, a RHN subscription is necessary for the virtio-win package.
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/chap-Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide-Para_virtualized_drivers.html#sect-Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide-Para_virtualized_drivers-Installing_the_KVM_Windows_para_virtualized_drivers

> My question is does any have anyone have any documentation that shows
> where I should put the virtio-win drivers in order to get a successful
> migration? Is there any better documentation that I should
> use to get the migration done?

Maybe this will be helpful.
http://asgardian.be/WordPress/2011/11/12/virtualization-kvm-p2v-how-to-prepare-your-windows-to-a-p2v-migration/
http://edoceo.com/howto/kvm-windows-p2v
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/poor-mans-p2v/ <-- in comments
somebody migrated Windows 2003 Server and reported success

> I have been googling all afternoon with no real progress. Some old threads
> have found seem to indicate that /usr/share/virtio-win is the correct place
> but those threads are from 2011. I need to do the migration tomorrow and I
> would like to be as prepared as possible.

My KVM and Windows experience has been for fresh installs only (where I
used the ISO from the Fedora project).  Most of my VMs are Linux (go
figure!).

Out of simplicity, I would attach the virtio-win ISO and attach a temporary
virtio disk so the machine would [at least] boot via IDE initially.  This
presents a couple of extra steps, but it's a one time thing.  I'm
definitely interested in better/simpler/efficient solutions if there is one.