[CentOS-virt] Mailing list policy

Mon May 19 13:41:45 UTC 2014
George Dunlap <dunlapg at umich.edu>

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Major Hayden <major at mhtx.net> wrote:
> On May 19, 2014, at 6:41, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth at xen.org> wrote:
>
>> It may be worth trying a change to see whether it would be manageable to use moderation of posts by people not subscribed to the list.
>
> My gut says to leave the configuration as it is now.  If folks aren't interested in participating in a discussion (by adding themselves to the list), they shouldn't be allowed to send something to the list.
>
> Hopefully I didn't miss the point of your original email. ;)

xen-devel/xen-users and linux-kernel both have mechanisms for
non-members to post.  In the case of the Xen messages, mail from
addresses not seen before get put in a moderation queue; we have some
volunteer moderators who go through the queue every day or two,
letting real mail go through (and whitelisting the address so further
mails from that address can go through).

This incurs an extra cost (people having to go through the moderation
queue), but it lowers the barrier to participation significantly:
someone can ask a question, report a bug, or send a patch without
having to go through he hassle of signing up for a mailing list they
don't plan on actually interacting with long-term.

I think moderation / whitelisting is worth a try.  If it just doesn't
work, we can always go back.

 -George