[CentOS-virt] Test new xen, centos-release-xen and kernel for auto grub update on kernel install

Thu Oct 16 16:52:10 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/16/2014 11:25 AM, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:41 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> The new process for auto updates of grub upon kernel install is in the
>> xen4centos testing repo.
>>
>> In order to test these as updates to an existing system, you can do this:
>>
>> 1. download the test repo file:
>>
>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/6/xen-c6-RC1/xen-c6-RC1.repo
>>
>> 2. Put it in /etc/yum.repos.d/
>>
>> 3. Issue this command:
>>
>> yum --disablerepo=Xen4CentOS upgrade xen\* centos-release-xen
>>
>> (that should install all the new files required to make the kernel
>> update work automatically)
>>
>> 4.  Review the new file /etc/sysconfig/xen-kernel ... if there is any
>> other items you want on the 'kernel /xen.gz' line, you would edit the
>> file.  For example, I like to add  'com1=115200,8n1 console=com1' to the
>> end of that line so I can use consoles in virsh.  So I would change the
>> line:
>
> Hmm -- so I take it that /etc/sysconfig/xen-kernel is now a part of
> the xen package...?
>
> One issue with this is that during normal Xen development I often make
> an RPM directly from the upstream repo, so while I have the xen4centos
> kernel & libvirt installed, I don't have a xen4centos xen installed.
>
> The nice thing about the current script in centos-release-xen is that
> it works with non-x4c xen packages.
>
> Sorry I hadn't thought about that side-effect when you mentioned this
> before. :-/
>
> Any thoughts?  Would it be possible to have the script in
> centos-release-xen and check for the existence of /boot/xen.gz, for
> instance?

I don't think that is a good idea .. people might have the xen.repo
installed so that they can get the kernel.  But not xen installed (ie,
they are on a domU).  They want the kernel and have centos-release-xen
installed .. BUT they don't want the grub mods as they want to boot a
normal kernel.

The easier thing would be for you (as a one off installer situation) to
create your own /etc/sysconfig/xen-kernel manually if you want grub
updated.  It only has 2 variables.

I want to make it easy to get things right in the major use cases ..
which I think this solution does in the way it is split up.