[CentOS-virt] Xen4CentOS e1000e package

Wed Oct 8 06:43:50 UTC 2014
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 02:47:12PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 10/07/2014 12:05 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
> > KB and I were looking at repositories to import into git.centos.org
> > recently, and we found the e1000e package -- a rebuild of the Intel
> > e1000 driver for the x4c kernel.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this externally-build module is still necesssary
> > for Linux 3.10?  Or for Linux 3.14, which we're planning on moving to
> > at some point in the near future?
>
> It is required for some e1000e devices .. I started building it because
> several new Dell machines did not work with the driver in 3.4.x or
> 3.10.x kernels.
>
> Not sure why, but there were issues and this solved them, so I would say
> it is required.
>
> There is also in kernel mods to get newer bn* drivers as well that is
> patched into the 3.10.x kernel as patches.

Yeah it sucks a bit that the drivers aren't really up-to-date in the latest upstream kernels, or the LTS kernels :(

Basing the x4c kernel on the el7 kernel would give all those driver updates and maintenance "for free",
but the maintenance cost would be elsewhere, obviously..

I guess the x4c 3.14 kernel just needs to deal with certain amount of driver updates to keep the most common hardware working..

-- Pasi