[CentOS-virt] Domain Controllers virtualized KVM

Thu Oct 16 12:21:26 UTC 2014
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:04 AM, David Vrabel <david.vrabel at citrix.com> wrote:
> On 15/10/14 09:54, Andry Michaelidou wrote:
>> Hello to you all!
>>
>> We are implementing here at the University KVM virtualization for our
>> servers and services and i was wondering if anyone virtualized domain
>> cotrollers to KVM.
>> Does anyone done this before? Any advice?
>
> If you need to support restoring your Windows domain controller VM from
> a snapshot or you need to live migrate it then you need Server 2012 and
> a hypervisor that provides a VM generation ID.
>
> I don't believe KVM supports this and it's only available in Xen in the
> upcoming Xen 4.5 release.
>
> David

Samba also works fine in virtualization. I've been publishing tools to
build Samba 4.1, capable of acting as a fairly drop-in replacement for
Active Directory,  for RHEL 6 (and thus compatible with CentOS and
Scientific Linux 6) over at  My toolkit is over at
https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo.

If you've worked your way up to CentOS 7, RHEL 7, etc., Samba 4.1.1 is
built-in and much easier to update as needed.