[CentOS-virt] Test new xen, centos-release-xen and kernel for auto grub update on kernel install

Wed Oct 22 11:13:34 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/22/2014 05:52 AM, George Dunlap wrote:
> Hey Johnny!  I tested your most recent implementation of the
> grub-update script, and it now seems to work whether I use the CentOS
> xen packages or a self-built one.  Thanks for your work. :-)
>
> One more thing though: it seems that the grub update is triggered on
> the *kernel* install or upgrade; but not in the *xen* install or
> remove.  So if someone installs both the CentOS Xen packages and the
> dom0 kernel, and then for some reason removes the Xen packages without
> removing the kernel, then the default grub entry will be pointing to a
> non-existent xen binary; or, if you were to install the dom0 kernel
> first, and then later install the xen packages, you wouldn't have an
> entry for xen.  I'm not familiar with the rpm spec system, but would
> it be possible to have the xen-hypervisor package kick the grub-update
> script on install and remove?

This would be difficult as it would happen on upgrades of xen too (the
old version if xen is removed) .. so we will have to educate people on
this instead.

> Also, is it possible to run the grub-update script manually?  We could
> then document that for users who want to roll their own Xen.

Yes, you can run it manually if you have all the things in place (it
looks for:

1. /boot/xen.gz
2. /etc/sysconfig/xen-kernel
3. The proper variable in /etc/sysconfig/xen-kernel
(BOOT_XEN_AS_DEFAULT="yes") set to yes.

So if you meet all of those conditions, it will update the kernel in
grub automatically.

<snip>

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes