[CentOS-virt] How do I do Centos 7 p2v migration?

Wed Sep 17 12:37:49 UTC 2014
me at tdiehl.org <me at tdiehl.org>

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014, Gilberto Nunes wrote:

> Do you get it??

Yes, I got it working. Turned out it was much simpler than I was making it.
I did not need clonezilla or anything else except rsync.

What I did was a minimal install of the same os the original machine was
running, and then rsync the original machine over top of the new VM, excluding
things like fstab, inittab, and other things that are specific to the hardware.

This allows me to keep the original machine on line until just before I am
ready to kill it off. When I am ready to kill off the old machine and start
the new one I stop all externally accessible services, change the network config
to reflect the way I want it in production, do 1 last rsync, reboot and I am
live.

Typical down time has been less than 15 minutes.

It takes a little tinkering to figure out the stuff that should be excluded but
once I got that it went well.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org

>> Hi
>>
>> I do this last week, and I use CloneZilla to generate a file image from a
>> phisical server running Ubuntu and after that, used Clonezilla to restore
>> into KVM hypervisor with no tears...
>>
>> Very smoothly...
>>
>> Cheers

>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to figure out how to do p2v and v2v migrations on a Centos 7
>>> kvm
>>> host. With previous versions there was virt-p2v but that does not seem to