[CentOS-virt] virt-preview repo for CentOS?

Mon Sep 1 16:46:57 UTC 2014
George Dunlap <dunlapg at umich.edu>

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 08/11/2014 06:58 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> That's right.  We want to test OpenStack with bleeding edge versions of
>>> libvirt and qemu, but want the underlying OS to be something supported
>>> for a longer period of time than a given Fedora release.  CentOS + a
>>> testing repo with that software included would be perfect.
>>
>> But on the whole, it sounds like your goals and the goals of the Virt
>> SIG are at odds.  The Virt SIG wants to provide a stable base; the
>> "(1)" group of people mentioned in the Fedora virt-preview wiki page.
>> As it happens, we plan on updating our libvirt package fairly
>> frequently at first; but that's just to get some important Xen
>> functionality in as soon as possible.  Once the Xen functionality for
>> libvirt has stabilized, we'll probably stop.  Our plan for qemu was to
>> re-build the exact RHEL package, but with snapshotting enabled.
>>
>> What you're describing would essentially be a completely separate
>> project: designed for people (like yourselves) who want bleeding-edge
>> versions.
>
> could we do this as a part of a -testing or -next repo, but still be a
> part of the VirtSIG ? I think it would be great to see some of the
> upstream devel stuff being built and tested, specially if it can be
> automated. Needing to do this manually, and curate it locally would be
> quite hard.

Yeah, I can see the usefulness of that -- particularly with me
"upstream" hat on.  It's just a matter of effort and priorities. :-)

And it would be different from Fedora's virt-next, because it would be
focusing on virtualization stuff coming down the pipeline from
individual projects upstream, rather than virtualization stuff likely
to end up in the next CentOS.

 -George