[CentOS-virt] How do I do Centos 7 p2v migration?

Fri Sep 19 01:18:47 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 8:37 AM, <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014, Gilberto Nunes wrote:
>
>  Do you get it??
>>

> Yes, I got it working. Turned out it was much simpler than I was making it.
> I did not need clonezilla or anything else except rsync.
>
> What I did was a minimal install of the same os the original machine was
> running, and then rsync the original machine over top of the new VM,
> excluding
> things like fstab, inittab, and other things that are specific to the
> hardware.

+1
I've done this exact process myself, but neglected to mention it to you.

Can't beat installing off a local mirror and then rsyncing a few small
differences (or much less compared the entire install) between the two
machines! ;-)

> This allows me to keep the original machine on line until just before I am
> ready to kill it off. When I am ready to kill off the old machine and start
> the new one I stop all externally accessible services, change the network
> config
> to reflect the way I want it in production, do 1 last rsync, reboot and I
> am live.
>
> Typical down time has been less than 15 minutes.
>
> It takes a little tinkering to figure out the stuff that should be
> excluded but
> once I got that it went well.

That's the fun of it, eh?

--