[CentOS-virt] CentOS Images on AWS with partitions on /dev/xvda1 are awkwared to resize

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 12:45:41 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Kelly Prescott <kprescott at coolip.net> wrote:
> to follow-up, I will give an example.
> Here is the listing for the official centos AMI:
>
> IMAGE   ami-96a818fe    aws-marketplace/CentOS 7 x86_64 (2014_09_29) EBS
> HVM-b7ee8a69-ee97-4a49-9e68-afaee216db2e-ami-d2a117ba.2 aws-marketplace
> available       public  [marketplace: aw0evgkw8e5c1q413zgy5pjce]
> x86_64  machineebs      hvm     xen
> BLOCKDEVICEMAPPING      EBS     /dev/sda1               snap-591037fd   8
> false   standard                Not Encrypted
> as you can see the block device mapping is by default set to
> BLOCKDEVICEMAPPING      EBS     /dev/sda1               snap-591037fd   8
> false   standard                Not Encrypted
>
> it is a standard volume, not encrypted, and 8 GB
> my modification consists in adding this to my run command for my ami launch:
>  -b /dev/sda1=snap-591037fd:20:false:gp2
>
> I set the drive the same, the snapshot the same, and I give it 20GB instead
> of 8, I also use the gp2 type instead of the standard as well as telling it
> not to delete the volume when the instance terminates.
>
> Hope this helps.
> kp

Perhaps so, and I appreciate the pointer. I can try to work with that
to integrate command line based deployment and get this option.

So you're working from the command line tools in the EPEL 'cloud-init'
package, not the AWS GUI? Because when I tried expanding the size of
the base disk image in the GUI, I wound up with an an 8 Gig default
/dev/xvda1 on a 20 Gig /dev/xvda. That's why I was looking at "how do
I resize this thing safel?"

Unfortunately, it doesn't help a lot with what I already have built,
but could be useful going forward.