[CentOS-virt] CentOS 7.1 + KVM + OVMF for UEFI - can't reboot VM, only shutdown and start

Dmitry E. Mikhailov d.mikhailov at infocommunications.ru
Fri Dec 4 06:56:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to use OVMF to run EFI-partitioned Windows 8.0 virtualized on
my laptop. The reason is to reuse the original HDD image intact without
re-installation of any kind.

I'm running fully updated CentOS 7.1 (1503). Virtualized storage
subsystem is VirtIO if it matters.

I'm almost OK with the notable exception of inability to reboot the VM.

OVMF bootloader doesn't start upon reboot (or even 'Force reset') of VM
and all I get a black screen and infrequent vCPU usage spikes, therefore
I'm forced to shut the VM and start it over.

Does anyone here have some similar experience?

Best regards,
	Dmitry Mikhaylov