[CentOS-virt] win2008r2 update on centos 6 host made system unbootable

Wed Dec 9 20:31:08 UTC 2015
Patrick Bervoets <patrick.bervoets at psc-elsene.be>

Op 09-12-15 om 14:23 schreef Dennis Jacobfeuerborn:
> Yes, this is a CentOS 6 Host using regular libvirt based virtualization. The Suse driver is apparently an optional update that gets delivered using the regular Microsoft update mechanism. It's hard to believe that they didn't catch a completely broken driver during QA so my hypothesis is that maybe the new Virtio driver is incompatible only with the older Kernel of CentOS 6 and that this wasn't properly tested. To verify this one could check if the same thing happens on a CentOS 7 Host but at the moment I'm to busy the check this. Regards, Dennis

Regrettably Microsoft has picked up the habbit of giving out buggy patches.
Sysadmins are becoming betatesters.

I wish I could test it but haven't got no C7 host yet.

Hope you didn't got bitten too hard and thanks for the heads -up.
Patrick