[CentOS-virt] Disable/stop nic in a virtual guest with virsh

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:59:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 3:10 AM, C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Sven Kieske <s.kieske at mittwald.de> wrote:
> >

> > On 17/02/15 09:18, C. L. Martinez wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> How can I stop/disable a nic in a virtual guest using a virsh
> >> command?? I am searching the same effect like if I unplug network
> >> cable ... Is it possible?? I have tried with "detach-interface"
> >> command without luck. I don't want to remove the nic from guest
> >> configuration, only to stop the nic ...
> >
> > Depending on your network architecture you could just ifdown
> > the vmnet, but this just works if you don't have multiple
> > vms on one vmnet (which you shouldn't).
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --
>
> Ok, to do a ifdown of virtual bridge it seems the only option.
>
> Many thanks to all for your answers.

* Definitely look to Juerg Haefliger's solution.  It's exactly what you
want since you requested a method that can be done from the virsh
interface.  Thanks Juerg!

1) down the vnetX interface from the host node
  ip link show dev vnetX
  ip link set down vnetX
  ip link show dev vnetX

And if using bridged networking, you have one more option.
2) remove the vnetX interface from the bridge
  brctl delif <bridge_int> vnetX

Certainly downing the interface using either Juerg's solution via virsh or
mine via iproute2 tools is most ideal since it's easier/simpler to
reinstate.  You can use ifconfig if you prefer it over ip tools, but enjoy
those tools and syntax while it remains! [0]  ;-)

[0]
https://dougvitale.wordpress.com/2011/12/21/deprecated-linux-networking-commands-and-their-replacements/

--
Mike