[CentOS-virt] Using network-script with Xen 4.4.1 (aka what will I do without xend?)

Sun Feb 1 00:19:35 UTC 2015
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:39 PM, George Dunlap <dunlapg at umich.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Gene <gh5046 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have seen those documents, I did not see anything that indicates how
>> _automatic_ bridge configuration could be enabled with xl.
>>
>> For my specific set up I have two bridges (xenbr0 -> peth0 & xenbr1 ->
>> peth1).  If I have to configure this manually with ifcfg scripts I will, but
>> if an automatic method is provided or is possible with xl I'd prefer to use
>> that.
>
> Thanks Gene -- I'll add a note about the transition to network-scripts
> in the CentOS "migrating to xl" document.

And coming around again: if you need pair bonding and VLAN tagging,
the best guideline is probably my old one: for KVM at
https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/display/TUSKpub/Configure+Pair+Bonding,+VLANs,+and+Bridges+for+KVM+Hypervisor

The more recent versions of NetworkManager for RHEL 7 and Fedora
apparently support VLAN tagging and pair bonding, but the interface is
poor. If you want it to be robust and reliable for virtualization
server, I'll urge you to set "NM_CONTROLLED=no" in
/etc/sysconfig/network, so it's inherited by default for all network
ports.

I'e some long rants about the unsuitability of NetworkManager for
servers we could expolore some time if you need it. But especially for
a virtualizaton server as opposed to a guest VM, It's dangerously
destabilizing