[CentOS-virt] Upgrading Xen 3 on SL 5 server with CentOS 5 and SL 5

Sat Feb 21 18:20:15 UTC 2015
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm dealing with an old Xen 3 server, and badly need to update it and all
> the vm's on it to more contemporary operating systems.  So far, so good!
>
> Can the Xen server on CentOS 5 para-virtualized CentOS 6? And if not, I'm
> having real trouble getting a live cd or installation media to boot in full
> virtualization to do the update of the guests.
>
> I'd normally start by updating the Xen server first, but that's not workable
> right now.

Following up: I've gotten full virtualization of CentOS 6 on an SL 5
Xen server by using the "virt-install" command and avoiding manual
editing of /etc/xen/ config files.

I've also been reminded, forcibly, of why I hated the "/etc/xen"
directory. The lack of distinction between a "/etc/xen/myserfer", the
example files there, and any other unqualified files there as valid
configation files means making safe backups of the files such as
"myserver.hvm" or "myserver.old" quite painful. I wound up putting
/etc/xen/ under git source control, just for tracking changes.