[CentOS-virt] CentOS 6 Xen 4.4.1 packages available on virt6-testing

Tue Jan 6 15:01:29 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/06/2015 08:54 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 12/15/2014 12:24 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
>> At long last, I've got some beta CentOS 6 4.4.1 packages up on the CBS.
>>
>> Major updates include:
>> * Update to Xen 4.4.1. Also includes all XSAs through 114
>> * Update to latest blktap 2.5
>> * Updated libvirt packages (1.2.10), which work well with libxl
>>
>> To use, add the following to a file in /etc/yum.repos.d:
>>
>> [virt-testing]
>> name=CentOS-$releasever - virt-testing
>> baseurl=http://cbs.centos.org/repos/virt6-testing/$basearch/os/
>> gpgcheck=0
>> enabled=1
>>
>> Notes:
>> * git repo with all the changes to xen can be found here:
>>  https://github.com/gwd/sig-virt-xen out/virt6/update-4.4.1-4
>>
>> * The signing infrastructure is not in place, so the binaries are not signed.
>>
>> * xend is now disabled by default.  You can enable it by running
>> chkconfig.  xend has been removed from the tree entirely in Xen 4.5,
>> so this should (hopefully) serve as a "wake-up-call" for people to
>> begin the transition over to xend.
>>
>> * A lot have things have changed -- please to test this so we can get
>> a good idea what may have broken.
>>
>>  -George
>
> George,
>
> I don't mind if xend is on or off, but the virt-manager (virt-install,
> etc.) that is included with the current xen4 tree will not work at all
> with libxl.
>
> We therefore do not have a GUI front end that can do libxl at this time.
>
> I might suggest leaving xend on for 4.4.x and we stabilize on 4.4.x on
> the production branch, and then start a testing branch that will be 4.5
> (or newer) with a newer libvirt, virt-manager, qemu, etc.
>
> I thought maybe a new kernel as well, but based on this:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
>
> It seems 3.10.x (at Sept 2016) is the best LTS kernel for support purposes.

So, I can't read :) .. 3.10.x stops in Sept 2016

Looks like jumping to 3.14.x would be required at some point, might as
well try to do that in the testing branch as well.

Thanks,
JOhnny Hughes