[CentOS-virt] SIG repo layout and conflicts between projects within a SIG

Mon Jan 19 17:19:22 UTC 2015
Edward L Heron <Ed at Heron-ent.com>

On Mon, 2015-01-19 at 12:08 +0000, George Dunlap wrote:

> The current setup is that every sig has exactly one production repo
> per CentOS version.

> So it seems we have a couple of ways to approach it.
>
> 1. Keep it one repo per SIG, and make all projects in a SIG sort out
> shared dependencies.
>
> 2. Allow one repo per *project* within a SIG (e.g., virt6-xen, virt7-docker)
>
> 3. Have some alternate way of doing a "patch", instead of repos.

> On the whole I'm inclined to prefer #2.

  I vote for #2, as well.

  Though I'm not actively participating in pushing new releases, I'm
interested because I've got 18 servers currently running CentOS 5 with
Xen.  I'm concerned about stability of future Xen support in CentOS if
there are too many chefs touching the packages with the complexity of
juggling all the virtualization flavors.