[CentOS-virt] Beta CentOS 7 Xen packages available

Tue Jul 7 21:12:05 UTC 2015
T.Weyergraf <T.Weyergraf at virtfinity.de>

On 06/17/2015 04:24 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
> At long last, I'd like to announce beta packages for CentOS 7,
> available from the community build system.

Great to see Xen coming to CentOS 7 !

I gave the virtx7-44-testing packages a spin on a fresh CentOS 7 install
(legacy boot, no efi, as there is no xen.efi). However, I was not able
to start any HVM or PVHVM guests. Upon create, the DomU was setup but
did not do anything, but instead entered a reboot-loop (Dom ID was
increased, but no boot output. No bootloader output on the console,
despite everything in the guest setup to display on serial console). The
exact same guests worked fine with Xen4CentOS xen+kernel packages for
CentOS6.
Note, that PV DomUs run fine (tested with CentOS5).

I did not invest too much time into debugging, but from xl's logs, the
DomU was apparently shutdown upon creation:

Waiting for domain xencen7 (domid 1) to die [pid 3162]
Domain 1 has shut down, reason code 1 0x1
Action for shutdown reason code 1 is restart
Domain 1 needs to be cleaned up: destroying the domain
Done. Rebooting now
Waiting for domain xencen7 (domid 2) to die [pid 3162]
Domain 2 has shut down, reason code 1 0x1
Action for shutdown reason code 1 is restart
Domain 2 needs to be cleaned up: destroying the domain
Done. Rebooting now

The interesting part is, that the pid of the xl create job (3162)
remains the same, thus xl create never exits but instead attempt the
re-create the DomU in a loop, only to be stopped by killing the xl process.

At the moment, I run my own self-build CentOS 7 xen packages. But if
desired, I can switch back to the virt7-xen-44-testing packages to
assist any debugging.

Regards,
Thomas