[CentOS-virt] missing bnx2x firmware files in Xen4CentOS CentOS6 kernel 3.18.12-11

Sun Jul 5 16:35:26 UTC 2015
T.Weyergraf <T.Weyergraf at virtfinity.de>

Hi folks

As mentioned in the subject, kernel-3.18.12-11 is missing firmware files
required to run Broadcom/Qlogic network cards, driven by bnx2x driver.
While in the source-rpm, there is a bnx2/bnx2x firmware tgz being
applied during the rpm build, along with a patch adding these firmware
files to firmware/Makefile, neither the tgz nor the patch contain the
required firmware files. In 3.18, the driver bumped to version
1.710.51-0, requiring the following firmware files/versions to work:

firmware:       bnx2x/bnx2x-e2-7.10.51.0.fw
firmware:       bnx2x/bnx2x-e1h-7.10.51.0.fw
firmware:       bnx2x/bnx2x-e1-7.10.51.0.fw

I helped myself by either copying the required firmware-files to the
target-machines' /lib/firmware/bnx2x dir and ultimately by adding the
files to the source-rpm along with a new Makefile patch and rebuilding
the kernel rpms.

However, as bnx2x NICs seem quite commonplace these days, I suggest to
fix this 'upstream'. If required, I can provide the (trivial) patch. I
pulled the firmware-files from a CentOS 7 stock kernel.

Regards
Thomas