[CentOS-virt] Windows 10 tech preview build 10130

Mon Jun 29 20:47:19 UTC 2015
Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com>

On 06/29/2015 01:27 PM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Has anyone managed to install Windows 10 tech preview build 10130 as a
> KVM on a CentOS 6 host? I'm having problems that I haven't been able to
> get past.
>
> I can get the CD to boot and the install process to begin, but Windows
> keeps complaining about missing drivers. I've unsuccessfully tried the
> VirtIO ISOs from the Fedora project.  The images I tried were:
>
> virtio-win-0.1-100.iso
> virtio-win-0.1.105.iso
> virtio-win-0.1.96.iso
>
> I have two IDE CD-ROMs attached which appears to be working fine
> (otherwise the installer wouldn't start and I wouldn't be able to
> traverse the VirtIO ISO). The NIC was an e1000, but I changed it to
> rtl8139. I've changed the HD from IDE, to Virtio iscsi to Virtio disk
> and none of that has seemed to help.
>
> I'd appreciate some pointers/tips.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ranbir

Hi Ranbir,

I've installed it on a KVM guest on a CentOS 7 host.

I haven't switched to VirtIO drivers yet except for the graphics
(spice/QXL), so that I could resize the screen, etc.

I've always had more success using the drivers obtained from running the
spice guest tools vs. the virtio-win stuff.  I use:

http://www.spice-space.org/download/windows/spice-guest-tools/spice-guest-tools-0.100.exe

I did have problems with blue screens at boot (to even get the
installation going) until I changed the CPU type to "kvm64"

-Greg