[CentOS-virt] CentOS 6 VM image for paravirtualizaton on CentOS Xen server

Nico Kadel-Garcia

nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 22:25:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:34:39PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> I'm looking at a CentOS 5  Xen server that I'd really like to put some
>> more recent VM's. There are reasons not to touch it at the moment, so
>> I can't upgrade it in place today.
>>
>> Has anyone successfully installed a CentOS 6 VM, paravirtualized, on a
>> CentOS 5 Xen server , without significant Xen upgrades? If so, can I
>> get a copy from a reputable source, or one that I can review before
>> using? I'm having a bit of difficulty arranging a PXE enironment to do
>> a paraviirtualized installation with, and there are apparently
>> difficulties doing a paravirtualzed system with CD or DVD installation
>> with Xen.
>>
>>                           Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>
>
> Yep, CentOS 6 VMs run just fine on CentOS 5 Xen host.

I've got CentOS VM's running fine, and have done them before. But
previously, I deployed the same base OS on the VM as on the Xen
server, so paravirtualization posed few risks. And I had control of
the DHCP setup. so I could trivially set up a tftp server to do a
non-CD installation, because Xen, at last look, doesn't support
installing a paravirtualized host from a CD image.

So I'm right back to my effectively unanswered original questions. So
please: I asked a very specific pair of questions, and they remain
unanswered. CentOS 5 Xen server (hypervisor, or Dom0, whatever we want
to call it this week): Does CentOS 6 work, paravirtualized, on such a
server? And given my deployment issues, does anyone have a base OS
image I can get a copy of?